Monday, November 20, 2006

New to SharingOurDays -- My Cancer (Cancer)

Who knew that NPR has blogs on its site?!? I'm sure lots of folks, and I'm pretty excited to discover it. Leroy Sievers is a beautiful writer who is creating an incredible chronicle of his life with cancer. Man, it is definitely worth our time.

The following excerpt is from November 16...

The Holidays Have Begun

Well, the holidays have clearly begun. Personally, I think it should be a crime to put up Christmas decorations or play Christmas carols until the day after Thanksgiving, but clearly all the retailers feel differently. There was Christmas stuff up before Halloween. That should be a felony.

The holidays are always a time for reflection. Last year at Thanksgiving, I didn't know that there were tumors growing in my body. I was going about my life in blissful ignorance. This year is different in so many ways, some obvious, some not. In many ways, I have a lot more to be thankful for: old friends who have stood by me in the bleakest times and new friends who already feel like old friends. I have learned many lessons and been reminded of things that I knew, but had maybe forgotten. And I have all of you, the family that has grown up around this site.

Of course, there is one sad thought floating over the holidays. I think it's probably in the mind of every cancer patient. Will I be alive for the next Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Year's? Who knows? The sad truth is that some of us probably won't be here next year. That's just the way it goes. But that shouldn't take away from this season.

As I've said before, I've postponed my next chemo until after Thanksgiving, so I expect my body and my appetite to be ready for dinner. That night, am I going to be worried about whether it will be my last Thanksgiving? Nope. And I think I will have that second piece of pie -- and yes, I will have whipped cream on it, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home