Monday, November 27, 2006

Reader Suggestion -- Bomb in My Belly (Cancer)

This cancer blog was suggested by Lynne Dahlborg (Life Changing Cancer -- http://dahlborg.blogspot.com) and can be kind of sad, but extremely well written and thoughtful, not to mention very funny at times. The writer is Louise Anonymous and I think I may love her just a little bit.

Thank you so much for passing this on, Lynne!

- sean

This excerpt is from November 23...

Finis

So the online discussion took place today. I'll talk about that another time.

I also had my CT scan today. (Yes, the technician asked if I might be pregnant; I politely told him I had a hysterectomy). Radiant1 posted a comment in response to this postscript explaining that technicians are required to ask the pregnancy question, and asked him- (or her-) self how I would prefer techs handle the question. I understand that it needs to be asked -- better I be affronted for a moment than have someone expose her fetus to radiation. What bothers me is when the tech has clearly read my file and requisition, both of which clearly state that I am a 26-year old female who is having a pelvic CT for ovarian cancer follow-up. Today the tech knew the name of my oncologist, that I hadn't had blood work to test my kidney and liver function, and that I had had contrast pelvic CT scans in the past. Ding ding ding! What does that suggest? That perhaps as a gynaecological cancer patient I've had a hysterectomy?

I think I would prefer that instead of asking the pregnancy question of gyn/onc patients, techs ask "Have you had a hysterectomy?" And if the answer is no, then they can ask "Is there any chance you may be pregnant?" Obviously if they don't know someone is a gyn/onc patient, then they can't tiptoe around the pregnancy question. Hell, in the end I don't know how much I care about the whole thing. It bothers me, yes. But it certainly shouldn't drive me crazy. They're only doing their job, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home